How does acupuncture work for pain relief?Acupuncture treatments works on two fronts: treating the root causes of the pain and alleviating the pain itself. Pain relief with acupuncture comes from inactivating the source of pain by modulating endorphin levels. Needling affects the cerebrospinal fluid concentrations of the naturally-occurring opiate substances acting at the spinal level or within the brain.
- Natural Opioid Substances Activation – needling increases circulation and relaxes tense muscles.
- Local Blood Flow – acupuncture increases local blood flow to the painful area.
- Corticosteroid Release – needling stimulates vascular and immuno-modulatory factors, including those of local inflammation.
Herbs & PainChinese herbology addresses pain by first diagnosing and treating the root of the pain. In addition herbal products can support pain relief whether it is due to trauma, acute or chronic disease. Several product types are used:
- Patent formulas – used to treat common pain types such as headaches, sore throat, knee pain.
- Custom formulas – no two patients and pain manifestation and type are alike; this is why our dispensary can prepare custom formulas tailored to each presentation.
- Patches & Ointments – various products are available to treat pain externally for joint, muscular or tendon pain